founder roy w armstrong passes away

The founder of the company, Roy.W. Armstrong, sadly passed away on 4th August 2010 at 91 years. 
What is clear from the various anecdotes and tributes, is that Roy was acutely aware of the value of his employees. From the very beginning, he treated all his workforce with respect, and rewarded their loyalty with good training, rewarding work and job security.
His involvement with regional training boards and building associations helped influence the trade’s current educational structure, and the company continues to support the various local technical colleges through our annual programme of training apprentices and management trainees.
Founded in 1957, the reputation Roy and his workforce developed during the firm’s formative years has resulted in R.W. Armstrong & Sons having worked on some of the finest private residences in the south of England.  The company aims to continue to improve the training and relationships within, what is still a family business, and strive to continue expanding the firm in his memory. 
Roy founded the company with his wife Vera in 1957 following 12 years with the building company H.N. Edwards. Prior to that his first job was erecting marquees for local company JM Carter, during which time he achieved the title of South West Junior Boxing Champion.  He also worked briefly as a sheet metal worker and miner, and during the Second World War enroled in the Home Guard then volunteered for the RAF.
The first office was their dining room and the telephone number was Monk Sherborne 177 - essentially the same number as today.  Business prospered during the first few years, and gradually more men were employed. Turnover was in the region of £10,000. 

Roy and Vera’s sons, Brian and Colin, joined the company in 1962, and it became a limited company, R.W. Armstrong & Sons Ltd.  The company went from strength to strength, and soon a larger office was required. A prefabricated office was built in the old dell in Aldermaston Road (the site of the current office) and a joiner’s shop was also erected using a portable wooden ex-classroom from a local school. There was also an electrical department.
During the 1970s, the company grew into a substantial company employing over 50 men on site, with turnover up to £200,000.  It gained a very good reputation for work on prestigious homes and for notable businesses.  In 1978, Roy’s grandson Nigel joined the company resulting in three generations working together. 
In 1984 Roy retired and handed over to Brian and Colin.  They expanded the company further, obtaining many prestigious contracts and enhancing the companies reputation. The office and joiner’s shop was rebuilt and named Armstrong House in 1997.
Colin retired in 2001 and Brian in 2003. The company is now run by Roy’s eldest grandson Nigel with managing director Simon Lewis and a talented and professional team.  It has further expanded, taking on larger contracts both locally and further afield, now employing over 200 people with a turnover in excess of £20 million. Roy and Vera particularly enjoyed commemorating the company’s 50th anniversary in 2007.